Oct 28, 2007

So....where are you?


Do you ever what happened to people in your past?

I had one of those lucid dreams the other night where I woke up and for three seconds, believed that everything that happened in the dream actually happened. I won't go into the details in regards to the dream because quite frankly, I don't really remember what it was about.

But a friend whom I haven't thought about in about a year popped up in it. I haven't spoken to her in over a year and the last time I saw her was the only time I had seen in her about two years.

We were friends when I was in college and interned in NYC. We were friends towards the end of my internship and when I went back to college, we continued correspondence on the phone and IM. But when I graduated, she moved out of the city and I moved in and she started a new career and gradually, we just lost touch, which was a shame because I loved chatting with her. I used to say that summer that she was like a big sister to me, giving advice and looking out for my best interests.

That dream for some reason has stuck with me all day. It's like when you hear a jingle or a line from a movie and it gets stuck with you right until the moment you Google the answer. How's she doing? What is she up to now? I've made a few attempts to get in contact with her but nothing really panned out.

And then I got to thinking about other people in my past. See, between 5th and 12th grade, I had never stayed in the same school for more than two years. Between junior high and high school, I went to three different schools in three different states. In college, I spent 2 of those summers in two different cities with vastly different jobs.

It's weird because I've been accussed of both thinking I'm closer to people than I really am, and I've also been accused of being too cold to people around me. When I think about the vast number of acquaintances (to say the least) that I've encountered over the years, I wonder how one defines how many of them were actually "friends"?

In any case, I've gone through my memory bank and have searched for as many people as I can on Facebook. I've found some of them and we're now "connected" again, if only through an online social network. I may not know anything more about them other than just what's on their Facebook profile.

But it's good to know that I virtually know them again.

So if I haven't heard from you in a while, drop me a line. I'm all ears.

No comments: